A view from the Shackleton Library into the old library with the "Endurance Spar" above the doorway, "the only surviving relic of Sir Ernest Shackleton's ship Endurance, this space was used as a distress signal flagpole by the party left on Elephant Island by Sir Ernest when he sailed to South Georgia for help. In 1916 the spar was brought back from Elephant Island by Mr (later Sir) James Wordie, subsequently Master of St. John's College, Cambridge. In 1998 it was presented to the Institute by Mr William Byrne." [from a plaque beside the spar, shown below it on right. Cambridge, England.
© Robert Stephenson